How do I transfer a vehicle to my daughter and switch insurance coverage from my policy to her own?

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked July 1, 2015

2 Answers

Transferring title of a vehicle to a family member is no different from transferring to a stranger. All that’s necessary is to sign on the back of the title where instructions tell you to sign. From that point, it is necessary for your daughter to take the signed title to the Department of Motor Vehicles (which may go by a slightly different name in your state) and apply for a new title, paying for required fees and providing proof of insurance. If she is continuing to pay for the car, you will want to be listed as a lienholder, which will result in you receiving notices of any changes in the insurance policy.

Insurance is required in most, if not all states before a vehicle title may be processed. To acquire insurance, your daughter must have a valid driver’s license. If she resides in your household and will continue to do so, you need only add her name as driver-owner of that particular vehicle to your own policy. If she does not, and will not reside with you, she needs to apply for her own separate policy, whether with your company or another of her choosing. If she has been previously insured in your household, that policy will help her with getting reasonable rates. Do not cancel her coverage in your household before she acquires a policy, as any period of being uninsured will increase her premium.

Once she has insurance, the vehicle must be registered in her name within thirty days unless you carry it on your household policy. Thus, in most cases, insurance needs to precede registration and title transfer. In most cases, the DMV agent and the insurance agent will be happy to walk you through the process, which is not at all difficult.

Answered July 10, 2015 by Anonymous

my dad got me a car and can I be put on the regs.

Answered July 8, 2015 by kjdecamp

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption