Can I get USAA home and car insurance based on my veteran son-in-law living in my home who has USAA insurance?

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2016Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked August 9, 2016

1 Answer

Currently, while membership to USAA is extended to family, the website lists two different classes of people that fall under this definition of family. There are those who were previously spouses of USAA members that had property or auto insurance while they had been married. This can be un-remarried divorced spouses and those that have lost their military spouses. It also will cover people that had parents who were former military, and had or currently have property and auto insurance through USAA. It's important to note the distinction that your spouse or parent also had to have a USAA policy to make you eligible under this umbrella of family policies. So, unless you or your spouse are former military that received an honorable discharge or your parents had a policy through USAA, you're unable to purchase a home and car insurance policy through USAA based on your veteran son-in-law living in your home.

Answered August 11, 2016 by Whitt

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption