would uninsured motorist cover damage to a stolen car?

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked February 29, 2016

1 Answer

Having your car stolen in the state of Washington can be a total nightmare. The situation can be made worse if your car ends up being damaged or even totaled.  Luckily, if you have an uninsured motorist policy, the damage should be covered.  Let's get into why this is.

What is an Uninsured Policy?

When you are in an accident that is no fault of your own, the fear that is commonly held after assessing that everyone is alright, is whether or not the person who hit you has insurance.

If not, then you may have trouble repairing the damage, or, at least, getting them to do so. This is where an Uninsured Motorist Policy comes into play. If you are hurt by someone with little or no insurance, you can essentially sue yourself through this policy.

What About if Your Car is Stolen and Damaged?

In almost every case, the stolen vehicle damage is covered under the original policy, but the additional insurance may come in handy, particularly if you are upside down in the vehicle.

Should You Get This Kind of Insurance?

The truth is that anyone who is on the road should have this kind of policy. Getting into an accident is not something that might happen - it will happen, and when it does, it could be with someone who does not have enough coverage.

If you are hit by someone who only has the bare minimum coverage, you may not be able to get the funds you need to cover a missed day of work, or the doctor visit that followed the accident. Worse, if you have a sustaining injury to your back or neck, you'll certainly wish you had the funds from the accident to take the time off you might need, or see the specialist who can adequately help

Answered March 3, 2016 by MattyMelt

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption