I am required to carry a SR22 but don’t own a vehicle. What should I do?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2010Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked July 6, 2010

1 Answer

If you have been convicted of driving without insurance or some other infractions, such as a DUI, you may be obligated to have a valid SR-22. This certificate states that you have complied with the legally mandated financial responsibility and liability laws. Note that this will be required in addition to your other auto insurance coverage, not in place of it. You can even be required to have an SR-22 if your license has been suspended or revoked if the court deems that you may still be subject violating those restrictions.

An SR-22 is not a true insurance policy, but is a certificate of compliance with liability obligations. It does not take the place of an auto insurance policy, and can be purchased whether or not you own a car or have a driver license. The requirement for having an SR-22 is usually placed against a person by the Department of Motor Vehicles or the court system, and requires you to carry an SR-22 for a set period of time ranging from 1 to 5 years. During this period, you will still have to purchase any vehicle related coverage in addition to the SR-22.

Some states allow a person to carry non-owner's automobile insurance, and it may be a requirement for carrying an SR-22 statement of financial liability. Check the insurance laws in your area, or talk to an insurance representative to find out whether non-owner's insurance is going to be required as well.

Answered July 6, 2010 by Anonymous

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption