is my child [licensed] covered under my uninsured driver ins. on my policy

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2016Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked April 6, 2016

1 Answer

As a claims adjuster for an automobile insurance carrier, there are only 2 States in the Union that don't require uninsured motorist coverage; New York is not one of them. The minimum coverage for New York is:

  • $25,000 - pays for one person injured in the accident
  • $50,000 - pays for an aggregate of all injured parties involved in the accident
  • $10,000 - pays up to the limit for any property damage (i.e., car, truck, etc.)

To make it easier for you to understand, uninsured motorist coverage is there to protect you and your family if they are in an accident with a vehicle that doesn't carry any liability insurance coverage.

In short, yes, your licensed child would be covered under the uninsured motorist coverage portion of your New York automobile policy. Your child would have to be a member of your household and listed as a driver on the household policy. Under the policy, they can drive any vehicle listed on that policy with coverage. If s/he is away at school within the State of New York, with a vehicle on the household policy, your child would be covered. It is always best to review your insurance coverages with your carrier or agent to determine what is the most effective coverage for you and your family circumstances. It is also best, if possible, to have the higher coverage limits of uninsured motorist coverage to protect your family from uninsured motorists driving around.

As I stated earlier, yes there is coverage for your children under the Uninsured Motorist Coverage portion of your policy.

Answered April 7, 2016 by ClaimsAdjuster

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption