House insurance being cancelled due to death. What are my options?

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My mother passed away in May 2016. I am the executor of her will and plan to probate her estate. I will not be able to pay the attorney to probate until at least February of 2017.

I received a letter from my mother’s home insurance company, Farm Bureau, that they were cancelling the insurance due to her death. I had asked them to extend coverage until I could probate the estate and get the deed in my name.

Do I have any options to get house insurance coverage in this situation? Or will the house be without insurance until I can probate the estate and get the deed in hand?

Thank you for your time,

Lando B.”

Asked October 21, 2016

1 Answer

If your house insurance has been cancelled due to the death of the policyholder, there are a few options available to you:

  • Contact the Insurance Company: If you haven't already, contact the insurance company directly to discuss your options. They may be able to offer you a new policy, transfer the policy to a new owner, or help you find a new insurance provider.
  • Probate Process: If the deceased owned the property and the property is going through the probate process, the executor of the estate may be able to obtain insurance in the name of the estate until a new owner takes possession.
  • Look for a New Provider: You can also shop around and look for a new insurance provider that can offer you a policy that meets your needs. Be sure to compare quotes from multiple providers to get the best coverage and rates.
  • Consider Using an Insurance Broker: An insurance broker can help you find a new insurance policy and may have access to a wider range of options than you would be able to find on your own.
  • Consider Bundling Insurance Policies: If you have other insurance policies, such as auto or life insurance, you may be able to bundle them together with your house insurance to save money and simplify your insurance coverage.
It's important to act quickly to ensure that you have adequate insurance coverage in place. Without insurance, you could be liable for any damages or losses that occur to your property. Be sure to read the terms and conditions of any new policy carefully and consider consulting with a financial advisor or attorney to ensure that you understand your options and obligations.

Answered October 25, 2016 by IndyIns

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption