I currently have no car and no insurance, but a valid driver’s license. If I borrow someones car to use, how am I insured in case of an accident?

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked July 26, 2011

1 Answer

Depending on the state in which you live and the insurance company providing the coverage, you may be covered under the insurance of the car's owner. In states such as Florida, which have no-fault insurance, it is the vehicle that is generally covered, not the particular driver of the vehicle. (States using a no-fault system) Check the policy of the insured car owner to find out how it deals with someone borrowing the car.

If you are a student and home on vacation or holiday break, the insurance may cover you explicitly, but you will need to be added to your parents' policy by contacting the insurance company. In fact, any time you are driving a vehicle that is not owned and insured by you, it is important to make sure that you are listed as a driver on the policy, just to be safe.

For example, if you had borrowed the car to move, and had an accident, the insurance company could say that since you were not a listed driver they were unable to assess the risk you posed and deny the claim under the grounds that an unapproved driver was behind the wheel. This situation can be avoided by contacting your insurance company and notifying them that another person will be driving the car for a period of time. If it will only be for a day or two, the insurance company may not charge you any rate difference, but if the person will be driving the car on a regular basis they will want to increase your premium to account for the new driver and increased risk caused by the vehicle being used more frequently.

Answered July 26, 2011 by Anonymous

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption