How can I get insurance for my son with a vehicle that is in the name of my deceased husband?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

The vehicle is in my husband’s name and he has passed away. My son is driving the car. I want him to have his own insurance. What is needed to transfer the title and registration to my son and can I obtain insurance for him (he’s presently under my insurance) without transferring the title.”

Asked July 27, 2015

1 Answer

The first step to take is to locate all current title and registration documentation regarding your husband's vehicle, along with a copy of the current auto insurance policy. Now you're ready to contact a representative of your insurance company to alert them that your spouse has died and that your son is currently driving the car. By having this new information, the insurance company can update their records so that your son is covered while driving the car until he obtains insurance coverage in his own name and the transfer of the car's title and registration has been completed.

Are you planning to give or sell your husband's car to your son? This involves transferring the title and registration for the vehicle to your son. That is a process you can get started with the Department of Motor Vehicles, also commonly known as the DMV, located in the state in which you reside. Every state in the U.S. has different requirements and fees involved in transferring car titles and registrations to a new owner. So make that call to the DMV in the state where you currently reside to begin the transfer process or look online to download application papers. You usually need to provide the DMV with the vehicle's current odometer reading, the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and any paperwork related to a bill of sale or a copy of the current registration and vehicle title.

If your son is residing with you while driving the car, contact the DMV in your state. If he is residing in another state while driving the car, you son should contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in the state in which he resides to get information about having your husband's car title and registration transferred legally to his name as the new owner.

Do either of you belong to an automobile club such as the AAA? They can often handle the business of transferring the title and registration for you. Then your son needs to speak with his dad's insurance company about updating the policy to indicate that he is now the car's rightful owner, or talk with the insurance company of his choice about obtaining a new policy for himself. Your son should ensure that he signs up for an insurance policy offering the proper amount of liability insurance required by the state in order to drive legally and be covered in the event of an accident.

Answered July 30, 2015 by kris721

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption