Can a grandparent put a relative who does not live with them on their policy?

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2017Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for them to do this in order for the custodial parents with whom she lives, to avoid paying higher premiums?

Asked January 25, 2017

1 Answer

In some cases, you can add a relative like a grandchild on the grandparent's car insurance if they are a primary or secondary driver of the vehicle, or if they live with the grandparents who are their legal guardian and drive their vehicles. It can’t be only if the grandparents, for instance, gave the grandchild a car, as the car has to be in the name of the grandparents.

Otherwise, the person whose name the car is registered to would be the one responsible for the car insurance coverage, i.e. the grandchild.

If none of the above instances are true, then they can’t add them to their car insurance just so that the custodial parents can save money. It has something that falls into one of the above categories. Also, the grandparents would then be responsible for any damages or other charges if the grandchild was in a car accident and it was their fault.

Answered January 26, 2017 by SaulGood

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption