If I get into a car accident with no insurance, but the title is under my fathers name what happens?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

i got into a car accident that I was deemed at fault. There was another 3rd party car involved that was the start of it. Eventually their doings caused me to crash into another car. They left the scene, so I was at fault between me and another car. I do not have insurance, and the car is registered and in the title of my dads name.

What will happen?

If I get insurance immediately, would it cover the costs? Or would they come after my dad?”

Asked October 9, 2018

1 Answer

Whoever owns the car is financially responsible for any at-fault accidents that occur in it regardless of who the driver is. If the title is in your father's name that makes it him that is financially responsible. So if your car is uninsured one of two things may happen. If the other party had uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage than their insurance company will take care of their damage. Their insurance company will then come after the registered owner of your car, your father, and seek to collect what they had to spend.

If the other person didn't have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on their policy then they can sue the registered owner, your dad, for what it cost to fix their car. Whether they decide to take that route is of course up to them but it really depends just how much damage you caused and, especially, if there were any physical injuries as a result of the accident.

As for whether you can now buy car insurance to cover the accident the answer is an unequivocal no. You must have insurance at the time an accident occurs in order for it to be covered. There is no insurance company that will let you buy car insurance and then retroactively cover some accident that you already caused.

Answered October 11, 2018 by agenture

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption