Will my car insurance policy cover ant damage to my vehicle?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked June 12, 2018

1 Answer

Whether or not your car insurance policy covers damage to your vehicle depends on the terms, clauses and type of coverage specified on your policy. This coverage is broadly classified into two categories - physical damage due to collision with other vehicles or objects and physical damage due to causes other than collision.

Most people are familiar with the first type of damage coverage, usually termed as collision or comprehensive coverage. The car physical damage coverage on every policy, in fact, have wide explanations of what exactly is covered, any limitations present and other factors surrounding the coverage. If the policy's declaration page says that collision coverage is included, then the insurer will pay for any accidental collision loss to your covered auto. Similarly, for loss caused by reasons other than collision, the insurer will pay only if the page shows that coverage for such cause is included.

Most policy agreements will include a list of categories that are covered for physical damage caused by reasons other than collision. The list may include fire, theft, windstorm, hail, water, riot, vandalism, breakage of glass or contact with animals, depending on the terms of the policy. Note that it is unclear whether the insurer will cover damages caused by reasons other than those mentioned in your policy, so it's always best to call your agency and find out.

Again, all these coverage apply to owned autos. Non-owned autos on the other hand should be specifically noted in order to be covered. Such vehicles include but not limited to pickups, vans, passenger autos and trailers. The vehicle should be operated by the named insured in order to be eligible for coverage. The insuring agreements further proceed to list limitations of coverage depending on the type of coverage you have.

Answered June 13, 2018 by InsuranceStar

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption