My in-laws own our home but my husband and I are on the deed with them. Do we need to purchase renters insurance?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My in-laws technically own our home. Long story short, we couldn’t get new home in our name while still owning old home, which is now sold. We have been put on the deed. So I am wondering if we still need to carry renters insurance.”

Asked March 29, 2016

1 Answer

Take a look at your home-owner's policy. The home-owner's policy should have the name of the person that is on the deed to the house. You state that you and your husband are included on the deed to the house that you currently live in. The fact is that all parties on the deed are covered. However, the majority of coverage will go to the primary names on the deed. The primary person on the deed is the one that puts in the claim, if something should happen to the home. This should include any type of damages to the house structure, bodily injuries, and personal belongings.

Here is an example; Your twenty something son returns home after graduating from college. He plans to remain in the house, until he finds a job. He is not paying rent to his parents. Is he covered under the policy? Generally, all the occupants in the house that are related to the primary person on the deed are covered. Therefore, you should not have to purchase renter's insurance. Of course, all insurance policies tend to vary. Therefore, it is a good idea to take a close look at your policy, and talk it over with your insurance agent or insurance company, for more details.

Answered March 29, 2016 by JDouglas

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption