I had some health services completed 4 years ago. Can I request that my health insurance company pay for it?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2013Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked March 5, 2013

1 Answer

As with most contracts, your health insurance policy probably contains a clause which defines how long you have to file a claim. Most insurance companies will allow you up to one year to file a claim, but the time limit may be much earlier, such as 6 months or even 90 days. Read your policy or contact your health insurance carrier to find out exactly what the deadline for filing the claim is.

Different types of health insurance claims may have different deadlines. For example, a medical procedure may have to be filed within 90 days, while a claim for medical equipment could be extended to 6 months. Each company is different, and even the same company may have different rules from one state to another. It may even be a case where the insurance company will pay the bill, but only if it is filed through the medical billing office of the care provider.

If you are unsure about state regulations, you can contact your state's department of insurance and ask them specific questions about licensing and company regulation. The department cannot give you information regarding your specific policy, but they can help you understand the regulations of your state of residence.

You cannot file a claim from several years ago against an insurance company that did not cover you at that time. For example if you recently changed insurance agents, you cannot file an old claim against the new carrier. They may provide coverage for preexisting conditions, but will not honor preexisting bills.

Answered March 5, 2013 by Anonymous

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption